There’s something that I can promise you 90% of people on match.com forget to do. If you do it, then you will not only be my personal hero, but I guarantee your profile will get more clicks.
What is this magic thing?
What does it have to do with this hunky guy sniffing his oddly hairless armpit?
Geek’s Dream Girl gets an average of 120 visits a day. (Update June 2009: Make that around 700!) Some of them are repeat customers, some border on stalkers (you know who you are!). But I can guarantee you that if I stopped updating, that number would dwindle and eventually taper off to barely a trickle of traffic.
Why? Because you like the fact that every day that you read your feed or visit the site there is something new and fresh there for you to read.
One of my pet peeves (and a reason that I have vetoed many a guy!) is a stale profile. I find a guy that meets my search criteria and has a cute picture. I click, only to find him talking about being 26 (when he’s now 28) or how he’s looking forward to seeing his family next month at Christmas (when it’s May).
Worse yet is when we’re doing what humans do – judge on appearances – and as you flip through the pages of prospective dates, it’s like the same ol’, same ol’. Yawn.
Tips for Keeping Your Profile Fresh
- Edit your profile once a month. Add in one sentence about something that’s going on in your world right now. For example, “I’m really excited that (insert team here) might make the (insert important game here)” or perhaps “I just saw Ironman and it was (insert opinion here).”
- Don’t make reference to your age. It’s printed right next to your picture at the top and most people search by age bracket. Don’t waste profile text on something we already know. Besides, when your birthday rolls around and you forget to update your profile text, you’ll look like “that guy” who hasn’t updated his profile in a year.
- If there’s an upcoming event you plan to attend, make note of it and ask if anyone else is going. You might find a date… or… she might see you there and approach you!
- Rotate your profile pictures when you edit your profile. Maybe you think your side view is great, but the girl of your dreams isn’t particularly fond of how your chin looks at that angle. The more variety in your pictures, the better.
- Change up your headline every so often as well, even if it’s just to rephrase it.
The moral of the story – we’re a speed-reading culture! You could get glossed over for something as simple as a not-so-great (to her) picture one month, but picked up the next when you change things up.
Keep your profile fresh and it will look new even to old members. It only takes a couple minutes of work a month to change things up and you’ll see the effects quickly!
Happy dating, geek friends.