Freshen up! You’ve heard me say it before, and I’ll keep advocating it because it really matters.
One of the most unattractive things about a dating profile (besides the usual red flags) is the stench of one that’s been neglected and left to rot.
A lot of people assume that you can just write a dating profile (or hire someone to write your dating profile for you) and just leave it be for ever and ever, amen.
That’s not exactly true.
If you want your dating profile to smell fresh and clean and attractive, you’ll want to keep it updated at least once a season to reflect what’s going on in your life and world.
A Seasonal Example
John loves to waterski. He’s been doing it since he was a little kid growing up on a lake in Florida. But now he lives in the north and waterskiing isn’t something he can do year-round.
If John wants to keep his profile smelling fresh and clean, he’s got four options that he can plug into his dating profile depending on the season:
- Summer: I’m out on the lake as often as possible these days. Nothing beats the sensation of flying across the water on my skis or board.
- Fall: I’m a little bummed that soon the weather will be too cool for waterskiing. Most of my summer was spent on the lake and I’m going to miss it.
- Winter: I’ve been trying to satiate my hunger for waterskiing by learning how to downhill ski. It’s fun, but it’s just not the same. Are you looking forward to Spring as much as I am?
- Spring: I’m pretty pumped about the weather warming up so quickly this year. Really, really hoping I can break out my waterskis soon!
How much cooler and more ALIVE is his profile now that the folks reading it can see that he’s updated it recently? It also shows that he’s passionate and excited about something – even if it is waiting for winter to be over, already!
Think About It
What can you freshen up in your profile?
- An outdoor activity you enjoy that season
- A convention or meetup you’re attending or just attended
- A movie you’re looking forward to seeing / just saw
- A book you just read
- A current political issue you feel strongly about (WARNING: Only do this if you’re prepared to deal with people who don’t agree with you. Politics are a dangerous subject.)
- A concert you’re looking forward to attending / just attended
It’s pretty easy to think up little ways to freshen up your profile. It only takes a few minutes of your time and the results are more than worth it.
We have two Halloween specials going on right now! Don’t let them pass you by:
- Win a magazine of awesome monster art, courtesy of AvatarArt.com
- Get 25% off any Geek’s Dream Girl service with code HALLOWEEN (Want ideas on how to freshen up? Get the Plastic d20 Package and we’ll have you smelling GREAT in no time.)